Image Map

Monday 28 April 2014

Edinburgh!

Last month we visited Scotland's beautiful capital city. Although we'd both been there before we hadn't been together so we went into full tourist mode with trips made to the Castle, Mary King's Close (creepy underground tour), Camera Obscura, Loch Lomond and the Highlands, the National Art Gallery, the Scotch whiskey experience and eh, the cafe where J.K Rowling wrote Harry Potter. It's an absolutely beautiful city that is steeped in history (a lot of which is pretty grim, so would appeal to those of you who appreciate the macabre!) with lots of great places to eat and drink. Everyone is super friendly too; it's a very welcoming city and a great spot for a weekend break away. Here are our highlights in photo format, I've popped them into collages so you don't get photo weary!

The Elephant House cafe ("birthplace of Harry Potter), Me dressed super warmly- 'tis fierce cold there- bring yo scarf and yo gloves!! Lots of cool photo opportunities at Camera Obscura

My lovely sis-in-law and I taking a well deserved break after a walk up the Crags (note- I am very unfit), view from the crags, Loch Lomond lake (breathtaking) and village.

ALL the Scotch Whiskey including this very expensive bottle, costing £18,500 (we bought one each, obvs), the dessert platter of my dreams, COCKTAILS!!


Lots of beautiful architecture..

Me pretending to be William Wallace at Edinburgh castle for no particular discernible reason. Having the lols (as the kids say) with himself.

Much, much love for Edinburgh.
Have you been? Any plans for a trip away somewhere else (not to sound too much like your hairdresser)?
XX

15 comments:

  1. Fab pics we really want to visit Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! It's such a beautiful country!

      Delete
  2. I went to Uni in Edinburgh,met my husband there & went back & got engaged at the castle!Love it there,but no desire to ever live there again!Its "Baltic" most of the year,but beautiful! I'd recommend going in August for The Tatoo (summer festival). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw wow, lucky lady! That sounds fab! Yeah I've been there twice before in the depths of Winter and couldn't get over the cold! Crazy!! Would love to go again in August but I hear it gets quite pricey then? xx

      Delete
  3. Can I be totally bias and say this is my favourite post ever!!! You've officially made me homesick! Looks like you had such a fab time, next time head West ;) Take the train to Mallaig and you'll pass over the Glenfinnan Viaduct which is the big bridge in Harry Potter on the way to Hogwarts ;) Oh I could go on but i'll bore you....fab post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely one to bear in mind for the next time, thanks hun! So glad you liked the post, your country is truly stunning! xx

      Delete
  4. The city looks gorgeous! Love the pics! Always wanted to go there x

    alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! Edinburgh is such a fun place to visit, I loved Mary King's Close it's so spooky. Looks like you had loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO spooky! Really enjoyed it, I love that about Edinburgh- so many creepy historical spots!

      Delete
  6. Love Edinburgh so much! Went a couple of years ago and there's still so much we didn't get to see, so I think its only fair I go again to see it all! :P Says me and I only back from a holiday.... Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there 3 times now and still want to go again so don't feel bad at all! Hope you had a great holiday too! :) xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a great time. I have been to Edinburgh a few times, I love Clarinda's tea rooms at the bottom of the Royal Mile! Well worth a visit. It is really cold there though and rains alot like home! The people are really nice and the architecture is fab! Glad you had a nice time :)

    All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we went there actually but I can't remember what the tea rooms were called!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos, have visited yet! Lifestyle posts are my favorite x

    ReplyDelete