Image Map

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet | Review

We all know by now that I'm a big fan of Bourjois. I'm also a bit of a lipstick fiend and have always admired people who can wear matte lips with apparent ease. I've never been one of those people. I have permanently dry lips but a good routine of Lush lip scrub with Nuxe lip balm afterwards has made my lips better prepared for more drying textures and this new release from Bourjois, the Rouge Edition Velvet has also helped. 

Bourjois rouge edition velvet

The idea with these is that they offer six bold shades in a liquid formula, which sets to a long lasting, matte finish. The three I've tried are all highly pigmented and easy to apply. The brand claims they offer 24 hour hold, which is...complete nonsense. They definitely stain (helpful tip- don't swatch these on your hand, you'll never get them off) but they also need to be reapplied after food and drink and as they wear off they leave that awful rim around the lips that looks like you've applied lip liner only and are in fact, a bit of a weirdo.

Bourjois rouge edition velvet

That aside, they do feel quite soft on the lips and I haven't noticed any particular drying effect. As I'm typing this, I've been wearing no 5, Ole Flamingo! all day and my lips feel fine- not a hint of dry skin!

Bourjois rouge edition velvet

Packaging wise, these are pretty standard. I like that you can tell straight off what each shade is as the tube is see-through with the lid matching the shade within. They have doe-foot applicators that allow for an even application, which is very handy and each contains 6.7mls. Yeah, that sounds like nothing but a little goes a long way with these as they are so very pigmented.

Bourjois rouge edition velvet
I know these look a bit samey here but you can trust me that they all look very different in real life!

As for the shades, I went for very typically me colours. 
01 Personne ne Rouge! is a classic blue toned red. It'll suit us pale skinned Irish ladies pretty well and although it's a strong red, it isn't shockingly bright so is actually quite wearable.
02 Frambourjoise is kind of a mixture between 1 & 5; a bright but flattering pinky-red. I've so far worn this one the most. It goes with everything.
05 Ole Flamingo is a super bright blue-toned pink. This is fairly neon against my porcelain skin but as I'm a big fan of these sort of lip colours, I'm happy out with this. 

You can find these in Boots for around €12.49 and are part of the current 3 for 2 offer available in stores and online!
Have you tried any of the Bourjois rouge edition velvets? Thoughts?
XX

9 comments:

  1. Snap reviewed these today too! I think they're lovely, they feel like they could be a luxury product they're so well made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, like something from YSL I thought!

      Delete
  2. You're routine is the same as mine. love that lip balm. I also love these products! I wish they came in more colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, favourite lip balm! Yeah, I'm hoping they bring out some darker shades for winter too!

      Delete
  3. These are getting such great reviews, I'm so shy of bold lip colour I'll have to be braver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all seem to be quite bright alright, it's a shame there's less neutral nudes too!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had the confidence to wear these colours more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the confidence to wear these colours more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the right mood for them myself Eilo!

      Delete