Image Map

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Bourjois Java Rice Powder (Universal Illuminating Powder)

I mentioned in my Ode to Bourjois (HERE) that this Poudre de Riz de Java, or Java Rice Powder to us boring non-French speakers was to be my next Bourjois purchase and here we are. Based on the brand's best selling product from 1869 and to celebrate their 150th anniversary, they've re-released this little beauty in this rather lovely retro packaging. The idea behind the transparent powder is to boost skin radiance, smooth the complexion and set make-up with one shade to suit all skin tones. 


First off this has a very strong scent, kind of like Love Heart sweets. That sounds a bit weird and if you have a sensitive nose then this might be best avoided but for me, it's heavenly! I keep opening the pot to have a sniff because it's so lovely. Once it's on your face, after a little while it's not that noticeable anymore.
Secondly, it does have a fair old whack of pink shimmer in there- not glitter, just a very finely milled powder with a pink iridescence running through it. For this reason, I think this might not be the best setting powder, particularly if you're prone to an oily complexion and you require something a bit more heavy duty. In that case, you could also use it as a highlighter. Again for me though, this is a perfect all over powder because I have very dry skin and generally, I don't even set my foundation all that much. 


I had however been intrigued by all the talk of the Hourglass ambient lighting powder and was pleased to hear some tout this as a cheaper alternative. Having not tried the former I can't make a comparison but I do know that I LOVE the effect this gives. That's right, shouty capitals. I use a fairly light hand with this (to avoid looking like the bizarrely sparkly undead) and I end up with an overall, healthy, lit-from-within glow. I don't find that it looks shiny or anything on, just...radiant. Any foundation shiny-ness is nicely blotted too so for me it does exactly what it says on the very pretty mint box. 


It's actually difficult enough to take a good photo of it on the face because it really just provides more of an airbrushed glow once it's on and that isn't the easiest thing to capture on film, so you may just have to take my word for it here!
Have you tried the Java Rice Powder? Have you embraced the illuminating face powder trend?
XX


36 comments:

  1. I really like this too, such a great budget option that feels much more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it, it really does feel way more pricey than it is.x

      Delete
  2. I've been searching for this high and low and haven't been able to find it yet! You have totally sold me on it now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me forever to find it too! Eventually got it in Boots Liffey Valley! x

      Delete
  3. Every time I see this reviewed I want it a little more, I need to make room for another Loosey in my storage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one loose powder so was happy to give this a go..now if it was a lipstick on the other hand.. :-/

      Delete
  4. I would love to try this.. but I am afraid my husband will start complaining about my "drug-store Habit"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this but couldn't find this in the boots in Dundrum :/ It looks so lovely and the packaging is amazing!

    http://pinkelephantbloggin.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked about 3 different Boots before I finally found it in Liffey valley, it's a tough one to track down! x

      Delete
  6. I love the new packaging!! But it's not on my stand ): I agree with what you've said about it making a good highlighter, it looks pretty light.x lashingsofmascaraon.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is so pretty! I think you'd probably have to build it up a good bit for use as a highlighter actually cause it goes on quite light as a powder but would still be quite nice!

      Delete
  7. I havent even heard of this! I'm not usually a bourjous fan because all their foundations are way to yellow based and to dark for my ghostly pale skin! However I really want to try this. Thanks for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their foundation formulas but completely agree with you re the yellow tone! I think I'm more neutral really but can get away with pink if needs be..yellow, not so much! x

      Delete
  8. Dying to try this!! Think you order from Boot.ie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gone online when I went looking for it! Typical! Cant wait to see your review! :) x

      Delete
  9. This looks so nice on you! Must give it a try :) xxx

    www.squidgymoments.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! You'll have to stock up on Bourjois when you get home! ;) xx

      Delete
  10. Ooh, purty! I'm always tempted by pretty sparkly powders and I tend not to ever use them.

    I have quite a fondness for Bourjous 'cos I used to see it advertised in UK mags when I lived in New Zealand and not be able to get my mits on it 'cos it wasn't available in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah we always want what we cant have! I tend not to use sparkly powders much either so I was really pleasantly surprised by this, I have to say.

      Delete
  11. I brought mine on on ASOS .com.au and arrive today,it's a lovely little powder and they ship it free worldwide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, I hadn't thought of trying asos for it, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  12. I brought mine on on ASOS .com.au and arrive today,it's a lovely little powder and they ship it free worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason or another I just don't take too well to loose powders, they end up sitting there unused. That said, I am still tempted...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge powder fan either but this was calling to me! Delighted I got it now! x

      Delete
  14. Bourjois are doing no wrong! Love the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, everything they bring out seems to be a winner lately. Hurrah!

      Delete
  15. This looks really good, will definitely check it out once I've used up my loose powder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks really good, will definitely check it out once I've used up my loose powder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so tempted to buy this now after reading your review, I will have to give it a smell in the shop see if I like.. Gorgeous product x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth smelling first- I'd say it could put some people off cause it is quite strong! x

      Delete
  18. I need to get this and add it to my collection, really should not be buying but it's just so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard so many good things about this lately, I think I definitely need it. Such cute packaging, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty isn't it? Makes me happy every time I look at it! :)

      Delete