Image Map

Saturday 5 October 2013

Books Are My Bag..

Indeed they are! Launched on September the 14th, the Books Are My Bag campaign is running across Ireland and the UK right up until Christmas with the objective of getting book lovers to visit their favourite book shops, support retailers and buy some books of course! When you make your purchase, you get this amazing bag:


If you feel like it, you can then tweet, instagram or email a photo of you with your bag to the "make your mark" competition, explaining what makes your bookshop so special (more details HERE). Your picture and quote could end up being printed on bookmarks that would then be delivered to your bookshop of choice and you could win lots of book tokens for yourself. Lovely. 
I think it's a great idea, I love real books- the smell and the feel of them are second to none (I know, it's all gone a bit weird but stick with me) and I get a little jolt of happiness when I get a new one (granted, that doesn't sound any better..I'll just get my coat). 
For me then, bookshops are great places to be and I definitely support this campaign. If you are getting any books any time soon, remember to ask about your free tote bag and wear it with nerdish pride, like me! Himself knows my love for a new book far too well and because of that, picked me up these two from Gillian Flynn, author of Gone Girl (you can read my review of that HERE). I can't wait to get stuck into these as they look excellent.


When I lived in Limerick, I would've said O'Mahony's was my favourite book store- it's massive and has every possible genre of book in it you could ever imagine. I used to go in there and spend ages looking at all the shelves, making lists of all the books I wanted and would often treat myself to a new book I'd had my eye on. Nowadays, I love The Winding Stair bookshop there on Lower Ormond Quay. Apparently it's one of the oldest independent book shops in Dublin and what I love about it is the general vibe in there. There's a wonderful atmosphere- it's small but peaceful and it holds an astonishing array for its size. I've come across some beautiful editions of books there, wonderful second hand volumes, recent releases and a great range of Irish authors. It's always a very pleasant experience and well worth a look if you haven't been. 

What's your favourite bookshop? Are books also your bag?!
XX

14 comments:

  1. I love the Winding Stair!!! It's one of my favourite bookshops! Can't pass without walking in. It has such a wonderful atmosphere x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! Glad someone else likes it as much as me, it's such a lovely spot. x

      Delete
  2. ooh, it's like your reading my mind when it comes to blog posts! First reviewing The Cuckoo's Calling, now this! I planned to do a post on Monday as I just got my bag today, after I saw on Weds that my local bookshop had them! Was delighted that they did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I couldn't wait to get one! Will have to use it for my groceries or something! :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post,love books so much...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, books are definitely my bag! I was sick so I sent my husband out on a hunt to find me a tote bag. Both of our local Waterstones and the WHSmith had sold out, but he eventually found an indepdent bookseller who had plenty left. He got me the new Ben Aaronavitch book - 'Broken Homes'. They're brilliant fantasies set in modern London - funny and original, worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fantastic, thank you for the recommendation, I'll remember that! And well done husband for going in search of a bag for you, that's lovely!

      Delete
    2. He's a sweetie, I'm very lucky (of course he was stomping around like a bear with a sore head tonight, but still...)

      Delete
  5. My husband bought me a kindle for my birthday last year and while I like it, I still love the feel and smell and weight of a good book. You can't go wrong with a book for a gift for a child.. I have enough bags though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my kindle too but it really isn't the same. It is very handy for travel and reading larger books though.

      Delete
  6. I also loved O'Mahony's when I lived in Limerick- I always adored the cookbook section. Now that I'm in Cork, I am spoiled for choice between Waterstones and the fantastic Vibes & Scribes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Waterstones! I was gutted when they closed down in Dublin. Don't think I've been to Vibes & Scribes, I'll make a point of finding it next time I'm in Cork!

      Delete
  7. Hadn't heard of this! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to go in and get one of the bags now :D

    ReplyDelete