Image Map

Thursday 20 December 2012

Why I've decided Elf is the Best Christmas Film Ever

Before I start, I should point out that I love a lot of Christmas films- It's a Wonderful Life, Love Actually, Home Alone, The Muppet's Christmas Carol etc., so it was difficult to pinpoint just one movie to talk about. However, following a trip to the Lighthouse cinema to see Elf last night, I've decided that I've found the perfect Christmas film. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Elf a million times but I really wanted to see it on the big screen. I think seeing a film in the cinema that you already love gives you a completely different impression of it and I also really enjoy hearing the audiences reaction- often it's very different to how I've always perceived the film (people laughing throughout a screening of Rear Window springs to mind). Also, I was really in need of some festive cheer and Elf was definitely the way to go. So here's why I think Elf is the best Christmas film ever:

  • Will Ferrell is hilarious. Genuinely, he could read the alphabet and I'm sure I'd crack up. He's brilliant as Buddy the Elf, who's actually human, unbeknownst to himself. He leaves the North Pole in search of his father in New York and hilarity ensues.


  • Zooey Deschanel. That is all.
  • No, seriously, she's amazing. My love for her has not in any way started to wane yet. I loved her in 500 Days of Summer, I adore her in New Girl (I too like to rock a lot of polka dots) and she's brilliant in this. She's unbearably cute, even when she's being all cranky at the start and my God, that singing voice is just unreal. I've been listening to She & Him's Christmas album and it's fabulous- I would recommend. 


  • It's really laugh out loud funny- the whole cinema was in stitches last night. One of my personal favourite scenes is when he gets knocked down by the taxi. Good times.
  • It doesn't take itself too seriously- yes, it is a fair bit cheesy and that's usually not my vibe but it manages a nice combination of cheesy and comical, which as Hubster pointed out- a lot of Christmas films can fail to get that mix right. 
  • It's heartwarming. I'm really quite cynical and sarcastic in general but the scenes with Santa and Central Park pretty much get me every time. You'd have to be fairly miserable not to have left that cinema last night with a smile on your face. 
  • There's lots of great lines: "This place reminds me of Santa's workshop! Except that it smells of mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me", "You sit on a throne of lies!!", "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear", "I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed 11 cookies into the VCR", "I just like to smile, smiling's my favourite", "Santa's coming?? I KNOW HIM!!" and my personal favourite, which I said to my sister in law upon answering the phone this morning: "Hello, Buddy the Elf, what's your favourite colour?".


If you haven't seen Elf yet, you honestly have to make it your business to do so and bonus- it's child friendly so fun for all the family! Any other Elf lovers out there (that sounds really weird) or do you think there's a better contender for best Christmas movie? :)

11 comments:

  1. I love Elf too, it's the business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great, it always makes me feel so Christmassy!x

      Delete
  2. Motion carried! I just watched this for the first time a week ago and absolutely loved it. Especially the scene where he makes breakfast for them - adorable! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's great isn't it? There's so many parts in it I love, not sure I could narrow it down! xx

      Delete
  3. i love Home Alone, Culkin was wayyyyyyy too cute <3 <3

    ps: wishing u merry christmas in advance ^^

    peace and love,
    intuition-magicdrag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home Alone is an absolute classic- wouldn't be Christmas without it! Thanks so much for your Christmas wishes, merry Christmas to you too and a happy New Year! xx

      Delete
  4. Elf is always a funny one. I do love love Actually and It's a Wonderful Life. All great selections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those ones too! Used to always watch It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas morning, such a classic! And I think Love Actually has become a modern classic in the last few years- always leaves me a bit emotional though! :) x

      Delete
  5. Only recently actually watched this, I know shocking! I loved it though, great film. He's hilarious!

    Hope you have a lovely Christmas!

    Ellie xo
    MisseBlog | MisseDesign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you'll have to watch it every year! ;)
      Thank you, hope you have a very merry Christmas too!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Ahhh I've been saving Elf for tomorrow!! I love it so much, I've watched it already this year a few times. Will Ferrell is just hilarious, I missed him one day in Longford a few years ago by about two minutes, he was doing some kind of ancestry research?! The local council recently put in a revolving door and every single time I go through it I think of the revolving door scene in Elf and I walk in with a big stupid grin on my face, I'm sure everyone thinks I'm bananas walking into the motor tax office grinning like a loon!! I go through phases of Zooey love, the She & Him cover of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree is one of the few versions I really like. Definitely agree with this as the best Christmas movie, it must have been brilliant to watch it on the big screen! x

    ReplyDelete